ATA Leadership Martial Arts It is my hope that the information shared here will help you as you develop your own skills in self defense. Our theories conincide with the principles we teach in our Krav Maga classes. Master Brown encourages you to enroll yourself in a realistic self defense course like Krav Maga so that you can walk in confidence and peace. For more self defense articles and tips click on the link for our facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/leadershipkravmaga?ref=hl Train Hard, Train Often, Walk In Confidence. Women Self-defense principles
- Stay aware of people in your surroundings
- Stay with people, go to people
- Attract attention
- Control his hips and his control his hands
- Keep a barrier between you and the bad guy
- Use your strongest weapons against his weakest targets
1. Stay aware of people in your surroundings. Not surprisingly, criminals exhibit predatory behavior in preparing to attack. They will try to pick a casual location to look for their prey. They will look at their intended victim far more and for longer periods of time than social norms. They will move when the prey moves. They will stop and look around for witnesses. They will often make several passes by the prey in a sort of ‘dry run’, seeing if the victim will react or to get a sense of how the attack might work. Master Brown knows that paying attention keeps you safe! Who is looking at you? Has the same person or car passed by you twice? Does someone appear to be moving with you? To recognize these things you must constantly be alert and aware of your surroundings. Trust your “gut feelings”…trust your intuition…Master Brown believes these are warnings from God. If someone gives you the ‘creeps: there is a reason for it…just because you cannot “put your finger on it”…does not mean there is not a problem. You have picked up on something that is abnormal…HEED your intuitive warnings. “It is better to feel a little foolish than sorry.” says Master Brown. However, sometimes even the most alert person may find themselves in a bad predicament. That is where the following tips come into play.
2. Stay with people, go to people. ATA Leadership Martial Arts knows the dangers of getting in a vehicle with an attacker. Do not ever let yourself be taken somewhere. Cops call it the “secondary crime scene” and most of the time it will be where your worst nightmare resides. If you are approached in a public place do not get in a vehicle with him. Do not walk around the building to the alley — STAY where others can see you. His worst fear is the fear of getting caught, so you resist (Run, Scream, Fight) in order to prevent him from taking you away. If it came to its very worst, make him drag you away (fighting of course). On the other hand, if you are in your house or another location that is private, you need to GO to people. His worst fear is the fear of getting caught — run out the door to a neighbor’s. Crawl out a window onto the roof. Drive your car up to a diner or convenience store. Go where there are lights and others.
3. Keep a barrier between you and the bad guy. Use a barrier to block him or use distance to gain time. Keep your doors locked. Stay in your car. Force him to get through a barrier before he can get to you. Use a barrier of pepper spray. You can even run around your car. The more difficult you make it, the more time it takes him and that means he might be discovered. Leadership Martial Arts has training available that will give you these skills.
4. Attract attention. The first thing he will say to you is “don’t scream or I’ll kill you”. Master Michael Brown knows this to be a lie! He’s telling you exactly what will ruin his plan. Go ahead, ruin his plan — create a disturbance, scream, throw things, blow the horn. If you think you should yell “fire” go right ahead. You can’t count on others coming to your aid, but you want to appeal to his fear of getting caught and make him think that someone could hear you and be coming.
5. Control his hips and his hands. This might sound strange if you’ve not gone through the Rape Escape course put on by the ATA, but the concept works. Control his hips to prevent penetration. If you can get your feet on his hips you can control the distance between the two of you. His hands are the weapons he will use against you. He will hit you, slap you, stab you or shoot you, but he has to use his hands to do the damage. Attack his fingers and hands aggressively. Striking, bending and breaking individual fingers is a great equalizer. But don’t stop your attack there. While you hold on to a mangled finger, kick and stomp both his feet and groin.
6. Use your strongest weapons against his weakest targets. His weakest targets are those that are most valuable, yet ironically, cannot be entirely strengthened. His eyes, throat, groin and knees are your primary targets. Your secondary targets are his face and his abdomen. Strong weapons that you can employ are your kicks using the bottom of your feet, your elbows, hammerfists and palm heel strikes. Learning to use these weapons effectively is the objective of all of our classes at Leadership Martial Arts. The confidence that you gain by self defense training is something that follows you everyday of your life. Our goal is that you gain the ability to Walk in Peace. If you are interested in a Free women’s self defense course for your group, please contact us. We are experts in personal protection and educating the public is part of our mission!
Michael Brown is a seventh degree black belt and Senior Master Instructor in Taekwondo and a certified instructor in Krav Maga. He is a two time world champion in sparring and a former Captain in the United States Marine Corps. Master Brown has been working with families and training people in personal defense in North Carolina for 27 years. He and his wife, Master Kimberly Brown love working with military personnel, law enforcement and civilians to become combat ready and helping them develop skills that will enable them to be the ‘First Responders’ for their families. Proudly serving the communities of: Fort Bragg NC, Fayetteville NC, Hope Mills NC, Spring Lake NC, Linden NC Recommended website www.PunchNKick.com Contact Us at: 910.860.KICK (Sycamore Dairy Road) and 910.822.KICK (Ramsey Street)